It’s that time of year again, back to school!
6 Podiatry Tips for School Shoes
1. It’s best to get fitted as no two feet are the same. Having your children fitted in a store with a Brannock device will ensure the right fit for both length and width. Rule of thumb: the big toe should be a thumb width away from the end of the shoe.
2. Strong heel counter: this should be stable and not fold in on itself. See the illustration below!
3. Leather is best for a school shoe as it moulds to the children’s foot and is also breathable.
4. Try shoes on later in the day as feet swell throughout the day.
5. Remember to take your orthotics with you when trying on school shoes to ensure they fit appropriately.
6. Shoes should be comfortable as soon as you put them on and do not need to be broken in.